Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bus Stop Hobos

The library near my house is shut down for a month (waaah!) because they're moving across the street so the old building can be demolished and rebuilt. Although this is badly needed (the building is so small and cramped for all the books and people using it) I ended up having to catch the bus today to another library which is a little further off.

This other library was much bigger and MUCH better stocked than the one that I'm used to. For a book lover like me it was heaven! I felt like a kid let run in a candy store, after about half an hour I tottered over to get my stack of books checked out. I even had to buy a library bag from them so I could easily take my load home. XD

While I was waiting for the bus to go home, a grungy bearded surfer type guy sitting on the bench beside me struck up a conversation. Here we go I thought...

Dude: Hey, don't you want to sit down?
Me: Um, no thanks.
Dude: Well what if I got up would you sit down then?
Me: No...I prefer standing.
Dude: So are you from India?
Me: No I'm not.
*he makes a gesture to indicate my scarf*
Me: Thats because of my religion, not where I come from.
Dude: What religion is that?
Me: Islam.
Dude: What?
Me: IS-LAM
Dude: Yeah...well...I'm Christian Science...
Me: Good to know.
Dude: But I'm sort of a hypocrite because I haven't been practicing you know...I'm just sort of messed up from my childhood you know

At this point his bus comes (thank the lord) and he staggers up to wait in line but before getting on he reveals this tidbit:

Dude: Yeah you know those Jehovah Witnesses try to talk to me and all but you know when I was a kid I was molested by the television for a couple of years [Uhhh...WTF!?!] yeah...Gods a female anyways.

Oh dear me. Welcome to public transportation! I'm just relieved he was a harmless hobo, albeit crazy and disturbing...harmless all the less. I've been through worse but I haven't heard something that messed up in a while.

What the heck did he mean? On second thought..I don't wanna know! Let me just go back to enjoying my stash of books. :D

3 comments:

  1. Ugh! Was he trying to tell you that they forced him to watch one of their Jehovah's Witness Videos? I'm clueless, but then again most sweet hobos are Schizophrenic, so that's probably what was really going on. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol oh wow that was halarious... lol by the way jazakallah khair for commenting. it was really cool of you. but yes.... homo = priceless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I have nooo idea Lisa. Then again, do I really want to know? :P

    You're welcome Dedra! Good to see you here :)

    ReplyDelete